Before We Begin...

Some divorces are more complicated than others, and not everyone should use this online tool. So let's start by asking you a few questions to make sure that this website is right for your situation.

Will you be able to provide proof of your marriage (in the form of an original or certified marriage certificate or registration of marriage )?

The marriage certificate you received at the church — or any other place where you were married — isn't acceptable in court. You need the certificate that was issued to you by the government.

If you were married in B.C.
If you were married in B.C. you can get your marriage certificate or a certified copy of the registration of marriage from Vital Statistics (an office run by the provincial government).

If You Were Married in Another Province
If you were married in another province you need to get the official marriage certificate or registration of marriage from the office equivalent to the Department of Vital Statistics in that province.

If You Were married in Another Country
Contact the office responsible for marriage records in the country where you were married.

More information

Video: Needed for Divorce: Your Marriage Certificate

Link to video

An 11½-minute video excerpted from "Helping Clients Prepare Divorce Documents That Don't Bounce," a workshop by lawyer J.P. Boyd at the October 2006 LSS Provincial Training Conference for Legal Advocates.

Certified B.C. Marriage Certificate

Certified Registration of Marriage

Certified Electronic Extract of a Registration of Marriage